It's French onion soup, but with Swiss cheese. See? Cheese makes everything better.
- 7 Tbsp butter
- 1½ cups day-old bread crumbs
- 3 large onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1½ cups water
- 4½ tsp chicken bullion granules
- ¼ cup flour
- 1¾ cup milk, divided
- 1½ cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Pepper to taste
Yield: 4 servings
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter; toss with bread cubes. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350°F for 7 minutes; turn and bake 7 more minutes or until toasted.
- Meanwhile, saute onions in the remaining butter until lightly browned (about 12 minutes). Stir in water and bullion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk until smooth. Stir into soup. Add remaining milk. Bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes, stirring until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Stir in 3/4 cup Swiss cheese and pepper.
- Ladle into 4 oven-proof bowls. Sprinkle with croutons and remaining cheese. Broil 4" from heat until cheese is melted and bubbly.