Originally from Cornwall, then brought to the UP of Michigan before migrating south to my stomach in Wisconsin.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup chilled shortening/lard
- 1 egg
- Ice water
- 1.5 lb cubed sirloin
- 4 cups diced rutabaga
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 4–6 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
Source: Stoney Acres Farm
Yield: 6 pasties
Lard makes the best pastries.
- Crust: Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening. Break egg and add water to reach 1 cup total liquid. Mix and add to flour. Toss until light dough. Chill at least 1 hour.
- Combine all the filling ingredients but butter.
- Grease baking sheets. Divide dough into 6, and roll into 8" rounds. Divide filling, placing on half of each round. Scatter butter over each. Fold and seal. (Fold small sections to make rope-like edges.) Slit tops.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400°F or 35-40 minutes at 375°F.