I wanted a chewy granola bar to take on bike rides that wasn't based on peanuts, marshmallows, or fruit. Luckily, every single mommy blog has a granola bar recipe.
- 6 Tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar
- ⅜ cup (¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons) honey
- ½ Tbsp vanilla
- Cocoa powder to taste
- 2 cups instant or quick-cook oats
- 1¾ cups Rice Krispies
- ½ cup sliced or chopped almonds
- ¼ cup flax meal, wheat germ, or oat bran
Source: Once Upon a Chef
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: 18 bars
You can add other stuff in if you want, like dried fruit of chocolate chips. There's a bunch of sugar already, though, so I just added in cocoa powder instead of sweetened chocolate bits.
- In a pot, combine the butter, brown sugar, and honey. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well-coated. Press the mixture evenly into a 9x13 pan lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Cool in the fridge for 1.5–2 hours, then transfer to a cutting board to cut into 18 or so bars. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. (I usually wrap them individually in plastic wrap to take with as a snack or dessert.